Tuesday, August 27, 2013

The dog days are over...



Obon week marks the ending of the summer holidays for most Japanese. It is a time of both reflection and celebration. Traditionally, Japanese people return to their hometowns for a few days, and spend time with their family. They reflect upon those they have lost in the past, and they visit their ancestors’ graves to clean them up. Many times, the living will leave offerings in the form of fruits and flowers; it’s not uncommon to see toro nagashi (luminarias) set adrift to sea. It is with high hopes that the ancestors’ spirits will return and visit the altars in the homes of the living.

All week I couldn’t help but feel connected to the people surrounding me. Some things are the same across international borders. The dead are to be remembered and respected… especially the ones that you cared for. The thought of all my family and friends who have died were constantly running through my mind. I didn’t feel any different, and it’s not like I imagined them talking to me in my dreams or anything like that. It’s just that since it was all around me, I couldn’t help but to keep them on the forefront of my mind. It also made me that much happier to be on this side of the alive/dead spectrum. Life is short and yadda yadda yadda.

While an important part of  Obon week is dedicated to the dead, it also about celebration with the living. In general, this is a time for partying: eating, drinking and being Merry. (See what I did there, Brooke and Joe?) Many towns, including my own, have lots of festivals. Fireworks, food, it’s an invitation across the nation for Dancing in the Street.


I began to feel more and more at home in 塩尻. I have made several English-speaking friends who are all nice in their own way. None of them are exactly the same as me, but that’s okay. I have come to the conclusion that the community of English-speaking expats in Japan, namely Nagano, is as diverse as the United States itself.
New 2013 JETs with Nagano-ken mascot, Arukuma


Yes. The English speakers here have all been incredibly nice to me. Back at home, people can be choosy about their friends: “I only hang out with dog-loving, conservative, Christian accountants who have three children and have spaghetti night at least twice a month.” Here it isn’t really like that. Differences truly have to be put aside to fit in and be well-adjusted. I mean, you could in theory be picky, but that’s a surefire way to be friendless in a foreign country, and who wants that?



ジミーとアリーシヤ Karaoke Fun Time...

2 comments:

  1. Looks like you are having fun. We need to FaceTime soon!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Agreed. I will facetime you later. What time do you awaken?

    ReplyDelete